Come see us...

474 Haywood Road in West Asheville
828.505.8595
We are a working studio with unposted hours,
but usually you can find us there most weekdays,
9am-3ish,
and sometimes more.

Friday, April 30, 2010

The United Craft Front

What in the heck is the United Craft Front you ask? It's us, and maybe you. All of us who make things, or are trying to. Those who want to get back to using our hands, and having know-how. At the DryGoods Shop, we will have studios, storefront, and most importantly, room for you to come and make things! Eventually we will have classes and hopefully host many of Asheville's fine quilting, knitting, and stitching circles. In the studio, there will be Overlap Sewing Studio and The AyBeeCees. I started Overlap after moving to Asheville in 2008. In San Francisco I had been teaching art at an amazing place (Creativity Explored check it out here , but with a four month old wild child teaching just wasn't happening. So i did some sewing, made some baby hats and tshirts, and Overlap was born. I have been sewing pretty much my whole life, and have done lots of costume work in the past. My background is really in art, but i find that the line between all that stuff is pretty blurry. So now I have a place where I can work on whatever I am in the mood for, which can vary drastically from day to day. It is all very exciting and slightly unreal.
Anyhoo, here is the link for the Overlap Etsy site, just so you can take a gander. I love to use recycled and vintage materials whenever I can...

More on the AyBeeCees and the ever lovely Jean Potter tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment